Apr. 2: All Broadway, all the time

Last night Victor and I saw Wicked again. Know what? I’m still not tired of it. I’d go again tonight, and over and over until it leaves town, if it wasn’t totally ridiculous and expensive. It is such a good show.

My mini-review of last night’s performance (the one from a couple weeks ago is here): We had Glinda’s understudy, Marissa Lupp. She was good, but I think I preferred the “real” one. Sorry, Lori; I know you liked her. We had the same Fiyero as last time, didn’t like him any better so I just stared at his very cute butt when he was on stage. Elphaba, Madame Morrible, and the Wizard were perfect. Overall the cast was terrific. I think I was overly critical last time, and it was undeserved. These people work so hard and do an amazing job.

I was thrilled to discover that the line-up for the 09/10 Broadway in Portland season has been announced. There are six shows and two extras.

  • Fiddler on the Roof. This stars Topol, who played Tevye in the 1971 movie. Kathy and I grew up with the movie soundtrack and loved it. I’m looking forward to seeing the stage production. Mom, you’ve gotta come up for it! August 25-30, 2009.
  • August: Osage County. I’ve never even heard of this show, so I don’t know what to think. It’s “darkly comedic” and that means I still can’t tell if it’s something I’d enjoy. October 20-25, 2009.
  • Xanadu. Vic didn’t believe me when I said this was in the schedule. Ha! Apparently roller disco is the new black. I’m embarrassed at how many songs I’ll recognize in this show, but it seems like it’ll be fun. January 12-17, 2010.
  • Legally Blonde the Musical. I’ve heard good things about this musical. If it’s cute like the first movie, it ought to be a good one. February 16-21, 2010.
  • Dreamgirls. Gotta see this show just for “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going.” April 6-11, 2010. (Speaking of that fab song, check out Jake Gyllenhaal performing it on SNL.)
  • Cirque Dreams Illumination. The “Cirque” entertainment genre is completely lost on me. I don’t get the appeal and will probably pay someone to take my ticket off my hands. Blech. April 20-25, 2010.
  • The extras are Cats (March 23-28, 2010) and The Lion King (June 16-July 11, 2010). I hate hate hate Cats and pretty much everything Andrew Lloyd Webber has done, but we’ve never seen The Lion King so we’ll definitely be going to that one.

I say this every year, and I’m going to say it again: If you’re in Portland and you want to go to more than one of the season’s shows, get season tickets. Cost-wise, it’s worth it. We like the excuse to have a date night every couple months and because we both enjoy musicals, it’s a lot of fun to see shows that we probably wouldn’t go to otherwise—we’ve been pleasantly surprised at a few very underrated ones.

One of the subscriber bonuses is that you can purchase additional tickets far in advance of their release to the public—they’re not necessarily cheaper, but you get a much better seat selection. You can also easily trade your tickets for a different night’s performance, and even for a show in a different city if you’re traveling.

If you’re not near Portland, check for other cities’ season schedules at Broadway Across America. You won’t regret it. For realsies.

I’m off to shop for opera glasses now. These utilitarian mini-binoculars are great but look so uncivilized! What do you think of these?

       

jensignature

3 comments:

  1. Fiddler on the Roof is the first musical I ever saw and still probably my favorite - I would love to see the Legally Blonde musical and Wicked. :) ::sighs:: Envious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. I've been waiting since you texted me last night about the "No Bette Mid-a-ler" Glinda. I'm sticking by her even though I can't compare her to the "real" one. ;)

    I'm just like you - never get sick of it. I just was listening to the soundtrack in my car.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiddler on the Roof is the first musical I ever saw and still probably my favorite - I would love to see the Legally Blonde musical and Wicked. :) ::sighs:: Envious.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails