Apr. 5: Plinky ~ the environment

Today’s Plinky prompt:

What are you doing to help the environment? Explain your level of concern for the environment and how well you think you're helping.

I care about the environment and I know that each of us can make a difference, but honestly? I don’t live the perfect example of an environmentally-friendly life. Please don’t tell Al Gore.

Recycling

  • This has gotten convenient for us since our trash pickup service recently added a more extensive recycle service. Nowadays recycling is so easy, I think you’d have to be lazenvironmenty as hell not to do it.
  • I recycle every scrap of paper I can; I keep a paper bag next to my desk in which I toss mostly junk mail, magazine and catalogs, and newspaper. The kids bring tons of papers home from school that go in there too.
  • Victor takes care of glass and plastic recyclables. Cardboard too.
  • We’ve got several empty helium tanks in our garage that our trash service won’t take. I still don’t know what we’re supposed to do with those. Same with electronics, baby gear, and other stuff that donation centers can’t accept.

Livestock

  • We have chosen not to raise cows in our backyard, because we know their farts make holes in the ozone layer. I know, I know… such sacrifices.
  • Our dogs fertilize the lawn in their own special way.

Automobiles

  • We drive vehicles that are no larger than we need; we don’t have a boat or anything that necessitates a larger vehicle for towing, so that pretty much took care of itself. I’d like to get a hybrid.
  • I wish we could walk or ride bikes in place of driving, but it’s difficult out here in suburbia.
  • Public transit is not a viable option out here either, but with MAX coming in soon it may be someday.

Products

  • I still use aerosol hair spray and glass cleaner, but I think every other spray product in our house is non-aerosol.
  • Those fluorescent light bulbs? I can’t stand ‘em. My mom uses them in her ceiling fixtures and they make the rooms grey and dim, so when I start thinking about being more energy-conscious all it takes is a visit to her house to be reminded that I just can’t do the light bulbs.
  • I try to re-use shopping bags but most of the time I forget them in my car when I go in the store. Every few months I gather all our plastic bags and put them in the recycling box at the grocery store.
  • I re-use when possible. I cut up old towels for rags, I re-use paper in the printer that’s blank on one side, I donate the kids’ outgrown clothing, etc.
  • I do not recycle water. I’m sorry; that’s where I draw the line.

We could and should do a lot more than we do, but compared to 20 years ago, we are much more environmentally conscious. Baby steps…

jensignature

6 comments:

  1. What kind of aerosol hairspray do you use? Aqua Net or Ultra Clutch? I didn't know it still came in cans! Welcome to the 21st Century Mrs. Manullang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen, you can call Metro's Recycling Information Hotline at 503-234-3000 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday. They can help you with those pesky helium tanks and all your other "problem children." (And why on earth do you have multiple helium tanks in the first place???)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori ~ SHUT UP! I use Sebastian Shaper. It smells a leeetle better than Aqua Net but it's probably as carcinogenic as Ultra Clutch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan ~ Thanks for the advice. We have many helium tanks because we are such crazy (and lazy) party animals. When you have balloons, you pretty much don't have to do any other decorating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jen, you can call Metro's Recycling Information Hotline at 503-234-3000 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday. They can help you with those pesky helium tanks and all your other "problem children." (And why on earth do you have multiple helium tanks in the first place???)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What kind of aerosol hairspray do you use? Aqua Net or Ultra Clutch? I didn't know it still came in cans! Welcome to the 21st Century Mrs. Manullang!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails