Apr. 30: Mistaken identity

SayMyNameRight The other day I wrote about seeing David Sedaris in Eugene on Friday night, and how he was introduced as “Peter Sedaris.” Incredibly embarrassing for the guy who made the mistake, but when one does not refer to one’s notes, those things happen.

This morning I Googled “Peter Sedaris” to see if I could find any other reviews of the Eugene show; right away I found a Willamette Week piece. No surprise; if any Portland paper’s going to review David Sedaris, it’s going to be WW. The writer mentioned the bad intro, as well as the election story. No mention of the ostrich/emu.

Nearly every other Google result was one reference after another to “Peter Sedaris” and the books he’s written, which, coincidentally, have the same titles as David Sedaris’ books. In fact, there were five pages of Google hits. Five.

Really? That many people make the same mistake?

The amusing part was how many of those hits were Facebook, MySpace, and Friendster profiles, in which the person wrote something like, “And I’ll read anything by Peter Sedaris!” That’s how you can tell someone’s a big fan, when they don’t even know the name of their favorite author.

Well, that’s enough of making fun of dummies today. Time to get back to my library. I’m re-reading all the Jeff Potter novels and just got to the part when he first goes to Hogwarts. These are the best books ever!

jensignature

2 comments:

  1. lmao too freaking funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT is hilarious. And, interestingly, timely for me - yesterday a local paper ran a story about the school where I teach and the reporter grossly misnamed my principal. It wasn't even close, visually or audially.

    Weird. Some people are dumb.

    (btw - thanks for visiting my blog; we are geographical neighbors!)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails