Apr. 8: Haiku, for you

April is National Poetry Month and I’ll bet you didn’t know. You probably thought you didn’t care, either. But here’s why you should care: because poetry is awesome. Really! And here, because I love you so very much and can’t think of anything else to blog about this morning, is some poetry I have written. Some people don’t think haiku is poetry but it is so just shut up.

According to the Academy of American poets, the philosophy of haiku is “the focus on a brief moment in time; a use of provocative, colorful images; an ability to be read in one breath; and a sense of sudden enlightenment and illumination.” Let’s see if I can capture that, shall we?

 

haiku Dog sleeps below me
All day long she farts and snores
It dulls my senses

 

Kids burst through front door
Quiet! Law & Order’s on
Stupid short school days

 

Jen published a post
My god, why does she bother?
Waste of good bandwidth

 

Mary: “I like butts!”
Didn’t need to know that, Mom
Thanks for the nightmares

 

“Rain, rain, go away
Come again some other day”
(I just made that up)

 

Great pals on Facebook
I try not to offend them
“Un-friend” makes me cry

 

There’s so much to do
Yard, clean, work, cook, plan, shop, pack
So… think I’ll nap first

 

Um, I’m gonna say that’s a big FAIL on “sudden enlightenment and illumination.” But I’d like to see your better idea for celebrating National Poetry Month, Mr/Ms Critic.

jensignature

8 comments:

  1. I love them! I felt totally enlightened AND illuminated... I think I may actually be glowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherilee, if you're glowing, I don't think I can take responsibility for that. Blame Hanford. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherilee, if you're glowing, I don't think I can take responsibility for that. Blame Hanford. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails