Oct. 10: Plinky ~ local tourism

Victor’s parents lived in the Seattle area for 30 years and never once went up to the San Juan Islands. The San Juan Islands are a vacation destination for lots of travelers in a beautiful part of the world. The air there is fresh and clear, and the weather in the summer is mild, making it a relaxing and nature-ific break from city life. So why Wellington and Darlene never went up there when it was practically in their backyard is a head-scratcher. They say they always planned to go, but there was no rush because, y’know, it was right there.

Victor and I have spent the past hour discussing today’s Plinky prompt:

What tourist attraction near you have you never seen?

Why haven't you? Do you want to go?

It seems like I’ve done just about everything ‘round these parts. Even outside of Portland, even extending into Washington state, I’ve seen the biggest of the tourist attractions. I looked at several Oregon tourism sites to find something about which I’d forgotten, and these are the two things near(ish) us that I don’t remember ever seeing:

Why haven’t I gone to Sea Lion Caves? I don’t know. It’s just 40 miles south of Newport, which we visit fairly often when traveling along the coast. I’ve heard it’s quite stinky; maybe that’s why I haven’t gone out of my way. I’m sure if the kids hear about it they’ll want to go, so I doubt I’ll go the rest of my life without ever seeing the Caves for myself.

The Mt. Hood Railroad has never appealed to me all that much. It travels through the Columbia River Gorge, and I went that route oh-so-many times going to and from college—can’t say I’ve ever been too interested in taking a leisurely ride through the area. Will I ever go on it? I’ll commit to a “maybe,” but that’s it.

Your turn—what tourist attraction near you have you never seen?

blogsignature

7 comments:

  1. I've been to Orlando TWICE and never once visited DisneyWorld. It just never seemed like the thing to do without the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been in Seattle 10 years now and still haven't made it to the San Juans... they're right there after all! :) I haven't been to the Sea Lion caves in over 30 years and don't intend to go back. I hear that it's stinky and under-whelming in it's boringosity. Not that I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a native Oregonian, lived here all my life 'cept for the WWC years. Never been to Crater Lake. [puts right thumb and index finger in "L" shape on forehead]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to Crater Lake, either. I'd like to see it at least once. I don't think there's anything else in Oregon considered a "tourist attraction" that I haven't seen that I want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I've been informed that the Whitman Mission qualifies as a sight-seeing opportunity near me... that one wouldn't have occured to me, but of course I've been there a few times in my 20-odd years in the WW valley.

    I'm quite pleased to say I have been to Crater Lake... nothing like sight-seeing with the ex-in-laws to get one off the beaten path!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crater Lake, the Wallowas, PDX Japanese Garden, far southern OR coast. And Bob's Red Mill breakfast.
    San Juans are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've been in Seattle 10 years now and still haven't made it to the San Juans... they're right there after all! :) I haven't been to the Sea Lion caves in over 30 years and don't intend to go back. I hear that it's stinky and under-whelming in it's boringosity. Not that I remember.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails