Oct. 8: Shifting the Sun

My friend Laura shared this poem with me on Facebook this morning. Since I lost my dad, I am drawn to poetry about fathers; I especially appreciate how this one doesn’t suggest that death shouldn’t change one’s life—and yet, it’s uplifting at the same time. Very nice. Thank you, Laura.

SHIFTING THE SUN

When your father dies, say the Irish
you lose your umbrella against bad weather.
May his sun be your light, say the Armenians.

When your father dies, say the Welsh
you sink a foot deeper into the earth.
May you inherit his light, say the Armenians

When your father dies, say the Canadians
you run out of excuses.
May you inherit his sun, say the Armenians.

When your father dies, say the Indians
he comes back as the thunder.
May you inherit his light, say the Armenians.

When your father dies, say the Russians,
he takes your childhood with him.
May you inherit his light say the Armenians.

When your father dies, say the British,
you join his club you vowed you wouldn’t.
May you inherit his sun, say the Armenians.

When your father dies, say the Armenians,
your sun shifts forever
and you walk in his light.

by Diana Der-Hovanessian

The analogy of sinking “a foot deeper into the earth”—I can certainly relate to that. But my dad’s “club” that I vowed I would never join? That’d best be described as the Republican party, and yeah, um, that ain’t happenin’. I wish I could honor his memory by voting Republican, but he’s gonna have to count on Kathy for that one. Sorry, Dad!

Otherwise, I think this is beautiful. smiley

blogsignature

3 comments:

  1. And you wouldn't know from the Kardashian clan how smart the Armenians must be! Wow.

    Love it. And, as you know, my Dad was in that Republican club (i.e., cult) that I cannot join, either.

    Miss them everyday...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely poem--it creates such a warm image of a father's influence, felt through the generations.

    Who knew those Armenians, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I'm still canceling out his votes.... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails