Oct. 24: Things that bum me right out

What a rotten week. Seriously.

My friend Sherilee posts a Friday Night Grateful Moment on her blog every week, and it’s always inspiring and reminds me to appreciate the good things in my life. And I do appreciate them, I do. It’s just that the really sucky parts of this week are what stand out most right now. Sorry, Sher—I know you try to bring some beauty into the world, and then I muck it all up with my grouchy, complain-y posts.

  • Many people from school are sick right now, so we PTO babes decided to cancel tonight’s Movie Night in the gym. Katie and Jack are disappointed, and promising to reschedule doesn’t make it any better. We might have to try to make it up to them by doing movie night at the theater—which will undoubtedly end up being ridiculously expensive and ultimately not really make everything all better because tomorrow they’ll still be talking about how sad it is that Movie Night was cancelled.
  • Almost everyone who had committed to help with the book fair setup yesterday had to cancel due to illness. The people who did show up worked extra-hard, and the Scholastic rep was shocked we got done in an hour so I guess we kicked ass at book fair setup. However, I lifted a lot of boxes and later realized I shouldn’t have…
  • … because I spent most of the night walking around the family room whining and cursing at my back pain. It certainly doesn’t take much to make it unbearable nowadays. I’m tellin’ ya, the spine-ectomy is totally happening.
  • The Spy Who Loved Me is on the Bravo network right now. Katie saw the title and said, “That reminds me of The Spy Who Shoved Me,” which is an episode of The Suite Life of Zack & Cody or Suite Life on Deck or one of those Disney Channel shows. I love when current TV shows parody old stuff. I do not love that my kids don’t get it.
  • Which reminds me, there are so many shows that parody The Flintstones, Gilligan’s Island, The Brady Bunch… and my kids don’t catch the hilarity of it. And I have to explain what the show is making fun of, and it makes me sound like a big fat moron because you can’t quite convey the COOLNESS of those shows when you describe them to kids of this generation. Those shows weren’t really as stupid as I make them sound, were they? I don’t think I want to hear the answer. I can’t handle the truth. Pffft.
  • I didn’t write about this as it was happening (you’re welcome), but the other night I woke up nauseous and couldn’t keep food down for 24 hours. It was sooo not cool. I wasn’t running a fever or sick in any other way, so I’m guessing all the ibuprofen I’ve needed finally ate through my stomach lining. Or it might have been food poisoning. Either way, it was not one of my grateful-est moments of the week. Saltines became my best friend and I’m still taking it easy food-wise. Yesterday afternoon I thought I was feeling flu-ish but this morning I’m okay, THANK BUDDHA.
  • Since I was still woozy Thursday evening, we opted not to go out to August: Osage County. Dang.

OK, fine; not everything sucked.

  • I finalized the menu and delegated duties for the conference dinner on Thursday. And I found that cute little dessert—which I’m doing a trial run of this weekend; I’ll let you know the outcome—and made decisions about decor, etc. I’m looking forward to it.
  • It’s shocking, but it’s true: I remembered to wear a bra to the PTO meeting this week. Yay me.
  • I was able to give away our August: Osage County tickets on Facebook. A friend jumped at the offer, and he said the show was excellent. Although I wish I’d been able to see it for myself, I’m glad the tickets didn’t go to waste.
  • This afternoon we’re going to Darlene and Wellington’s for lunch. Darlene’s making cottage cheese loaf. I loooove cottage cheese loaf. I hope I can work up an appetite between now and then—maybe when I catch a whiff of it, I’ll feel ready to dive right in. Yum.
  • Our big PTO fundraiser ended yesterday. Next week we’ll see how we did. Cross your fingers, please.
  • Prizes for selling fundraiser items were cute little necklaces. We grown-ups wore a few at school every day to show how cool they were and encourage the kids to sell a lot of stuff to get some necklaces for themselves. Jack added the necklaces I wore all week to those he rightfully earned, and went around this morning looking like a mini-BeeGee—if a BeeGee wore Star Wars jammie pants and didn’t know how to make proper gang gestures.

    Jack and his bling-bling
    This is one funny little dude.
  • There was much fun to be had on Facebook this week—my friends make me LOL. Katie and Jack are always saying, “What? What’s so funny?” when I get on Facebook, but most of the stuff that makes me LOL is stuff I don’t really want them to see, so I try to LOTI.
  • Thank you to all who comment on my blog posts. I love comments, and there were some doozies this week. I don’t reply very often because you’re all so witty and charming, I don’t want to take away from that with more of my own blather. Just know that I appreciate you very, very much.

blogsignature

7 comments:

  1. Don't you feel even the smallest amount of guilt eating cottage cheese loaf when you not only know I hate it, but WHY??????

    Yea, I love you anyway....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok. i've never heard of cottage cheese loaf. so i look it up and there are millions of recipes: from those requiring special k to others using pulled-apart bread chunks.

    could you please post your fav version of this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe one of these weeks I'll do a mid-week Life Sucks post... cuz it does sometimes, doesn't it?! And some weeks more than others. Sorry about the sucky part of yours. This sickness crud really is taking its toll, everywhere. Just nuts.

    I do hope that there was cottage cheese loaf at lunch today. I had quite the Pavlovian response to just hearing about it...

    Hang in there, dear Jen. Sending hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen I just had a similar moment with Elizabeth watching iCarly. A little dance scene that mimics Michael Jackson's Beat It. I showed it to Elizabeth and she told me, "I like Freddy's version better." Oh...today's youth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think SDA just made up cottage cheese loaf to make the rest of us feel were missing out on something tasty, because I have YET to see it served at your home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen I just had a similar moment with Elizabeth watching iCarly. A little dance scene that mimics Michael Jackson's Beat It. I showed it to Elizabeth and she told me, "I like Freddy's version better." Oh...today's youth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe one of these weeks I'll do a mid-week Life Sucks post... cuz it does sometimes, doesn't it?! And some weeks more than others. Sorry about the sucky part of yours. This sickness crud really is taking its toll, everywhere. Just nuts.

    I do hope that there was cottage cheese loaf at lunch today. I had quite the Pavlovian response to just hearing about it...

    Hang in there, dear Jen. Sending hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails