July 9: My little trooper

Jack has never liked getting his face wet. During his first bath at four days old, he was fine until we started to wash his face. Things have not improved over the years. Although he enjoys our little backyard pool, he goes in freak-out mode if someone dares to splash him.

At two years old, Jack (and Vic) did a two-week Daddy & Me swimming lesson. Jack insisted on being held the whole time. The next summer, when he was old enough for regular swimming lessons, we knew on the first day that it wasn't going to go well. One of the few things they learn at that level is how to blow bubbles in the water. That necessitates one's face is in the water, of course, and as soon as Jack realized he would have to get his face wet every day, he was out. Last summer I didn't bother registering him for lessons because I didn't feel like the daily struggle. Instead he sat and watched Katie in her lessons for a month. I hoped it would make him wish he was in there. It didn't.

So this summer I had to make a deal with him. He wants to go to Safety Town, a program that Katie attended a couple years ago. I told him he could go ONLY if he went to at least one session of swimming lessons (they're two weeks long). At first he said he would do it. Then he decided he'd only do it if he didn't have to put his face in the water. I told him no, that wasn't going to work. It took a few weeks but he finally agreed to the deal. I have to admit, though, I wasn't sure if he'd follow through.

Swimming lessons started this morning. Katie's like a fish. The only thing I ever have to remind her about is to pay attention; otherwise she won't stop doing underwater somersaults. But I was extra concerned about Jack today. He seemed nervous and he looked so little next to the other boys in his class (they're obviously several years older than he is, so who are the real delinquents, hm?).

About ten minutes into the lesson Jack's teacher was having them blow bubbles. OH SHEET. I stiffened, knowing what was about to happen. Jack's face came out of the water and his fingers went straight to his eyes and I thought for sure he was going to cry. He turned around and paddled back to the wall and stood there for a second. I just knew he was planning his escape from the pool. But then he put his face in the water again, for a good five seconds or so. I was amazed! He came up and rubbed his eyes again, but then he went back underwater again, over and over and over! My sweet little boy; he was trying so hard and he hated it, but he also knew he had to just get it over with.

I expected him to complain about the class but when we got in the car he said, "That was SOOO fun!" I went on and on about how proud I was of him. I really am. He was so brave. For Jack, this was really a big accomplishment.

One lesson down, eight more to go...

--Jen

3 comments:

  1. I'm SOOOOO proud of him!! Please give him a HUGE kiss and a GIGANTIC squeeze from me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is awesome! so cool! i can see the buttons popping off your shirt. and...i remember being one of those kids who hated face in water. still a little weird that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SOOOOO proud of him!! Please give him a HUGE kiss and a GIGANTIC squeeze from me!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails