July 4: Patriot for peace

In honor of this hallowed day of firecrackers, hot dogs and beer, I offer these quotes from our nation's history. They have all been carefully selected, of course, to support my stance on the war and general disgust with our current administration. Thank Google for making that so easy!

To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. (Theodore Roosevelt)

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. (Mark Twain)

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. (Edward Abbey)

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them! (Albert Einstein)

Do not... regard the critics as questionable patriots. What were Washington and Jefferson and Adams but profound critics of the colonial status quo? (Adlai Stevenson)

I like to believe that people in the long run are going to do more to promote peace than our governments. Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it. (Dwight D. Eisenhower)

My favorite: Sometimes I wonder if I'm patriotic enough. Yes, I want to kill people, but on both sides. (Jack Handey)

Happy Independence Day!

1 comment:

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails