Jun. 14: True facks

Jack did an animal speech last week for a year-end second grade requirement. Do you remember giving a speech in second grade? Me neither. This one required a poster and comb-bound report, as well—something else I don’t remember having to do in second grade. Like Katie’s covered wagon assignment, I think this is just a test for the parents. Nevertheless…

Jack’s chosen topic was the creepiest creature he could think of: a vampire bat. I printed out a bunch of data from National Geographic and encyclopedia.com, and he chose the points he wanted to use in his report. It was pretty funny listening to him read through all of it, because he’d find something “really gross, Mom!” and read it to me right away. I was all, THIS IS WHAT ‘LEARNING’ IS, BOY, AND SOMETIMES IT’S KINDA COOL.

Except for printing out the pictures he chose, I didn’t help him much with his poster and hardly saw it until he brought it home. Fortunately, Mr. N liked it, because I was a little bit embarrassed when I gave it a good look this afternoon. Shall we dissect it? We shall.

All the photos are clickable for bigger versions.


 

The entire poster



Jack picked out a fitting Lettering Delights alphabet for the header.
He asked me to adjust the colors to be less Halloween-y and more bloody.
Then he drew in the blood drops and wrote “Facks about the…” above. I told him
the correct spelling of “facts” and he shrugged (how can a misspeller such as he be my boy???),
but it appears he corrected it at school.

He also drew in a crescent moon dripping blood. Why? I don’t know.



I love that he captioned this “vampire bat labled,” even though (again!) I wish
he’d asked for a little help on the spelling. Nothing like superfluous captions, right?
But what I really love about it is that he drew nipples and a belly button
on the bat. Bats are mammals, so they feed their babies with their boobies.
Duh, Mom!



Here’s another one of my favorite parts. All the red drawings are dead animals
that the bat has bitten. Now, forget the fact that being bit by a vampire bat
does not necessarily kill the animal; it’s way cooler if they’re dead.
I also like the proportions of the animals; that is one big-ass pig!
He made a big deal in his speech about how it’s rare for humans to be bitten
by vampire bats, so that explains the “no” symbol over the sad person who is “screm”-ing.

 

Another superfluous caption.
This picture convinced Jack that vampire bats have only four teeth because that’s all he could see.
I see at least seven, but whatevs.



See? Four teeth.
I do think the drawing of echolocation was pretty creative.



Really?
They’re babies?
In a hand?
Thanks, Science Guy!



A world diagram of where vampire bats live was one of Jack’s priorities
for his poster, but apparently the green areas alone weren’t clear
enough. He also added an explanatory title and wrote that they’re
in “South Amermica” and “Centra Mexico.”
And is that the International Date Line he drew on there?
That is one questionably brilliant boy.



I am soooo saving this poster for someday when we can all have a good chuckle over all its parts. Right now Vic and I are the only ones who get how goofy it is.

2 comments:

  1. That's a very smart boy you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, that is awesome. And seriously, the spelling just kills me!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, please don’t leave an anonymous comment.
Select “Name/URL” below and you can use whatever name you want. No registration required.
Thanks! –Jen

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails